Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error (Rom 1:24-27).
The Bible on Homosexuality
Romans 1 defines the product of man’s unbelief. The disregard for truth and the rejection of God’s authority, leads to increasing depravity, absent any constraint that would inhibit the expression of one’s personal desire. Paul writes that in response; “…God gave them over” to lust, impurity, and degrading passions, wherein they would suffer the “due penalty of their error.”
Notice that within this discussion, homosexuality and lesbianism are specifically referenced as “unnatural” expressions; products of having been given over to “degrading passions.” God clearly denotes that such actions are not of His design; a reaffirmation of Old Testament warnings (Lev. 19:20). This truth is hard for some to accept and a spiritual war has erupted in opposition to its reality.
According to LGBT advocates, homosexuality, lesbianism, and transgenderism are innate, natural conditions that are scientifically verifiable. For years we have heard about scientific studies that confirm the biological, medical, and genetic reality that same sex attraction and gender dysphoria are normal, unchangeable, expressions of nature that should be acknowledged and accepted within our culture. Any other view has been labeled biased, hateful, and archaic. This referenced “research” has supposedly trumped Christian conviction and biblical truth with scientific evidence.
This would mean that God created and gave life to what He defined as unnatural, indecent, degrading, and impure. It would mean that God intended for humans to engage in this aberrant conduct that stands in opposition to His Word. And finally, it would mean that God has contradicted Himself, canceling His specific revelation of Scripture through the general revelation of nature, affirmed by human generated science. But we must recall this truth:
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone (Jas 1:13).
God “does not tempt anyone”. Therefore, according to His nature, God could not create an individual with a passion and temptation for anything He has defined as “unnatural.” God is not the author and creator of sin. Instead, sin is the rebellious expression of the human heart in opposition to God’s holiness (Mk 7:20-23). Belief and surrender to God through Christ Jesus our Lord brings life (Eph 4:5), while sin is progressive and always ends in death.
But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren (Jas 1:14-16).
The Manipulation of Science on Homosexuality
Just as the apostle Paul warned, a great deception has occured. Through the manipulation and misstatement of research, LGBT supporters have made great progress, influencing judges, politicians, mental health professionals, medical providers, and even the church. Over the past two decades we have seen laws established that provide special provisions for the LGBT community, including the right to marry and adopt children.
Homosexuality and transgenderism have been removed from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. In fact, it is considered unethical, and even illegal, for counselors and psychologists to offer treatment that denies the normalcy of these sexual expressions. And regrettably, we see an increasing number of Christian denominations surrendering to this aggression and many are taking a stance that is diametrically opposed to scriptural truth.
And while we were sleeping, many boundaries of reality have been breached and the LGBT community now has credibility, power, and even preferred status throughout the U.S. and around the world. Romans 1 has come to life before our very eyes. However, the advancement of unbelief and its devastating fruit is to be expected. Paul wrote Timothy the following warning:
But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (2 Tim 3:13-15).
Christians must not fall prey to misinterpretation of science distorted through the viewfinder of unbelief, nor can we succumb to its effect on society in general. Rather we must cling to the things we have learned and the “sacred writings” which center our focus upon God’s eternal kingdom. We must not allow pseudo-science to become our measurement of truth that defines our belief system and the resultant actions we take in ministry.
Still it is important to note, that true science has never once found a contradiction in God’s Word. Never has God’s recitation of history, archeology, or physical realities been proven wrong; though many have tried. Rather science has repeatedly confirmed the dictates of Scripture concerning homosexuality without exception.
The Summation of Research on Homosexuality
In His wisdom, God has now allowed a summary research on the topics of homosexuality, lesbianism, and transgenderism that undermines the foundation of previous claims made by LGBT advocates. The new study appears in the professional, scientific journal, The New Atlantis. The research is entitled: “Sexuality and Gender: Findings from the Biological, Psychological, and Social Sciences” and is written by two renowned secular scientists: Dr. Lawrence S. Mayer and Dr. Paul R. McHugh. Dr. Mayer is a distinguished biostatistician and psychiatrist on faculty at Arizona State University and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Dr. McHugh is a Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University Medical School and is described as perhaps “the most important American psychiatrist of the last half-century” (Editor’s note).
This important research is described as a “careful summary and an up-to-date explanation of research — from the biological, psychological, and social sciences — related to sexual orientation and gender identity” (p 4). The study examined all credible research conducted on the topics of sexual orientation and gender identity produced over the past several decades. There was a careful examination of statistical inferences presented in each study to affirm their accuracy and statement of meaning. In total, hundreds of research articles were analyzed and summarized, yielding the following conclusions:
- “The understanding of sexual orientation as an innate, biologically fixed property of human beings — the idea that people are “born that way” — is not supported by scientific evidence” (p 7).
- Instead the research found that certain environmental factors were frequently common among homosexual and lesbian individuals, and that these factors may have influenced their sexual orientation in a more definitive way. For example, “non-heterosexuals are about two to three times as likely to have experienced childhood sexual abuse” when contrasted with heterosexuals (p 7).
- Same sex attraction in adolescents does not predict homosexual or lesbian orientation as an adult. In fact, 80% of adolescents who experienced some period of same sex attraction in their youth had resolved such feelings by adulthood and were successfully heterosexual in their orientation. This finding is especially alarming given that many U.S. states are beginning to define what is acceptable counseling or therapy services for teenagers with same sex attraction. Therefore, counselors are not allowed to assist a teenager with a transient emotion and/or attraction but instead must encourage and support the attraction as natural, innate, and permeant. For example, in California, there is a state law that reads as follows: “Under no circumstances shall a mental health provider engage in sexual orientation change efforts with a patient under 18 years of age” (State of California, SB 1172).
- Compared to the general population, homosexuals and lesbians demonstrate an elevated risk for adverse health and mental health outcomes.
- “Members of the non-heterosexual population are estimated to have about 1.5 times higher risk of experiencing anxiety disorders than members of the heterosexual population, as well as roughly double the risk of depression, 1.5 times the risk of substance abuse, and nearly 2.5 times the risk of suicide” (p 7).
- Transgendered individuals are at a much higher risk for mental health problems than the general population. “Especially alarmingly, the rate of lifetime suicide attempts across all ages of transgender individuals is estimated at 41%, compared to under 5% in the overall U.S. population” (p 7).
- “The hypothesis that gender identity is an innate, fixed property of human beings that is independent of biological sex — that a person might be ‘a man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’ — is not supported by scientific evidence” (p 8).
- Sexual reassignment surgery offers no benefit to those who experience gender dysphoria. Post-surgery, these individuals continue to have a higher risk of poor mental health outcomes. “One study found that…sex-reassigned individuals were about 5 times more likely to attempt suicide and about 19 times more likely to die by suicide” (p 8).
- “Only a minority of children who experience cross-gender identification will continue to do so into adolescence or adulthood” (p 9). And yet our government is imposing guidelines for elementary school bathrooms that reinforce and affirm a child’s confusion on this issue.
The study goes on to challenge the idea of organic differences in the brains of homosexual and heterosexual individuals, finding that while some organic differences existed, it is impossible to determine their genesis. In other words, there is no way to know if the differences in the brains were innate (present at birth) or a product of environment (trauma, abuse, substance abuse, injury, etc.).
Finally, LGBT advocates often cite antiquated “twin studies” that supposedly confirm that if one identical twin is homosexual, both will be homosexual, even when raised in different homes and diverse environments. But the study most often referenced was conducted in 1952 by Franz Josef Kallmann, and has been proven to be flawed on multiple levels and is generally dismissed by the scientific community.
More current studies illustrate quite the opposite truth. One of the most respected and oft quoted studies of recent years was completed in 2010, by psychiatric epidemiologist Niklas Långström. This study revealed that when one identical twin had at least one same sex partner, the other twin did so 18% of the time. When one fraternal twin had at least one same sex partner, the other twin did so only 11% of the time. In female twins it was 22% and 7% respectively. This low concordance rate fails to suggest a genetic causation of homosexuality or lesbianism.
What Should We Conclude
Unbelievers will always rail against the truth. Christians must not be surprised by this reality. Paul wrote:
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised (1 Cor 2:14).
Still we must remember our battle is not with unbelievers, researchers, homosexuals, or lesbians. The battle is spiritual and requires endurance, persistence, and the repetition of truth in love (Eph 4:15). Paul was clear:
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places (Eph 6:12).
And while the current research exposes the manipulations of the LGBT faithful, while affirming the truth we all know; research and science are not our weapons of warfare. God’s Word is our template, shield, and sword. With it we measure and discern truth (Heb 4:12); with it we are protected from deception and lies (Jn 17:17); and with it we respond with the Gospel in the hope that some unbelievers might be awakened to the depth and mystery of God’s miraculous grace (2 Tim 4:1-2).
What is the benefit of helping an unbeliever see the scientific truth of an issue if his/her eternity is lost? No one will be saved through statistical manipulation, brain scans, or twin studies. Yes, the new research is a great confrontation for those trained with a lie; however, most will ignore this research just as they ignored and twisted the previous studies.
Yet for some, the current research may provoke questions and conviction that we, as ministers of the Gospel, must be prepared to answer. Remember our answers are found in Scripture and not secular studies. Stand ready to offer Christ as the only solution to man’s penchant for depravity and death. As with all other expressions of sin, we offer life. Jesus prayed His Father:
“This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent” (Jn 17:3).
Mayer, Lawrence S. and McHugh, Paul R., 2016. “Sexuality and Gender: Findings from the Biological, Psychological, and Social Sciences”. The New Atlantis: A Journal of Technology and Society, Fall 2016. http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/preface-sexuality-and-gender
State of California, State Law 1172. “Sexual Orientation Change Efforts”, Section 2, Article 15, 865.1,https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120SB1172